Sunday, April 27, 2014

Q&A

I'm very excited to announce a new section to my blog called Questions & Answers!

I will be bringing you answers from the people that inspire me and hopefully we can all learn a few tips ;-)


Meet 
Zoƫ Stenmark




HOME

Where do you draw your inspiration from to decorate your home?
I draw inspiration from film, fashion and of course my favourite interior designers.
Pinterest is great for refining your design aesthetic.
I find obvious patterns begin to show and you quickly learn what you like.

What are your go to stores for home accessories?
I have a huge thing for fresh flowers and coffee table books so first and foremost, my local florist (I like to invest in orchids, they’re so beautiful and chic and best of all they last ages) and Ariel Booksellers in Paddington. In terms of accessories I love marble, crystal and gold accents. Coco Republic, Top3 by Design (for all things Missoni – a great relatively inexpensive way to make an impact in your bathroom), Country Road, West Elm, Freedom and David Jones (for crystal glassware, decanters & candlesticks) have great pieces. Online I frequent, Abode Australia, Bombardier Designs, Etsy (incredible for throw cushions and vintage trays) and Birdy & Me by Kelly Smith for the most stunningly beautiful drawings. I also make some of my own pieces for the home such as copper ‘maze ‘ sculptures and smaller versions in gold and silver wire (these will be for sale on the new look indi + rose website along with a few fashion items). 

Your closet is amazing!! Did you design this yourself?
Oh thank you! The closet, one of my favourite rooms in our house and the one room that is never big enough
(in fact, my husband has a separate closet -­ he knew this during the build, so it wasn't a surprise).
I must say, walk in robes are a serious luxury but they don’t have to cost a fortune. There are some amazing pins on pinterest about walk-­ins on a budget. If you've got the space, I would absolutely recommend it. I love having a separate space for my clothes, it allows the bedroom to be a sanctuary and I feel I take far more care in putting everything away.

Do you have any tips for making the home cozy this coming winter?
Layering! This would a tip year round. Layering textures makes a huge difference to your homes atmosphere and you can also give your home a completely different vibe relatively inexpensively. For the cooler seasons for example, I love to have cushions in varying fabrics such as velvet and faux fur and a cozy throw rug on the lounge. You just want to cuddle up and settle in.I also love a grouping of candles, particularly on a mirrored tray (the reflective surface adds depth), which add extra warmth and a bit of romance. Having live elements such as plants, flowers and greenery give a lived in feel, which makes your house feel like a home as oppose to a display. 

What is your favourite thing about your home?
That’s a though one. If I had to pick a few things out I'd say 1. he chandelier in the dining room, 2. My closet, 3. The formal lounge room (I like to call it The Parlour, it has these beautiful big arm chairs and a velvet tufted sofa - it harks back to the Hollywood/regency Art Deco era. 

Do you currently have your eyes on any home decor or furniture?
I've actually recently purchased some amazing new pieces from Jardan Australia and Coco Republic so I feel like I am pretty satisfied. I think the only things that's on the wish list is a new piece of Art - a Jun Chen from The Hughes Gallery would be nice! 






(The Closet!!!!)


FASHION

How do you plan your outfits? Do you have any rules?
My number one rule is that I have to be confident and comfortable. No one enjoys worrying about whether their hemline is ridding up or their bum looks big. I have always dressed to please myself and when I put something on I almost always know whether I can do a day in it. I start with the key pieces that I really want to wear whether it be a simple striped t-shirt dress, a red lip or a floral crown and go from there. I treat getting dressed like getting into character so the whole look is considered but I don't stress about it. Since I was a little girl I have dressed up in costume (age 5 going to preschool as Pippi Longstockigns to musical theatre performances) and dressing on a daily basis isn't any different. At the end of the day, dress for you, you'll feel better for it. 

Favourite luxe brands? 
Isabel Marant, Miu Miu & Valentino for casual shoes, Chanel for classic bags, Givenchy for IT items, Mawi & Ek Thongprasert for statement pieces, Josh Goot & Scanlan & Theodore for Australia luxe.

Favourite street brands?
These are more my favourite Australian designers rather then specifically street labels - Jac + Jack, Country Road, Bassike, Thurley, Zimmermann, Cameo, Tony Bianco, Senso.


What are you 3 must have pieces for this coming winter?
Cosy oversized knits in cream grey and black (loving Country Road's knitwear), a black fedora and an indi + rose fur.

What is something that you will splurge on?
The question is what don't I splurge on! I do love a new bag or pair of shoes but I try to split my major purchases between interiors and fashion (I have major love for both).

Do you have a fashion icon?
I find it hard to stick to one icon as style is fluid concept but I will say that Olivia Palermo & Christine Centenera are flawless. Olivia knots her style and is always bang on. Her ability to accessories is unparalleled. Christine is the fashion forward girl you'd love to be. She takes risks and they pay off. She's where I look when I'm ready to step outside my sartorial comfort zone. 

Do you have any safety net pieces?
Shift dresses. They're so versatile and can be easily dressed up or down with the addition of jewellery, a belt
and headwear (such as a beanie or fedora).






No comments:

Post a Comment