Monday, October 6, 2014

CLUTTER FREE

For Fiona

Thank you for your email.
I have actually done a post on this before which I have re-posted below :-)
Hope you find it helpful.

Xx

 
HOW I DE-CLUTTER
I have completely changed from when I was a teenager! 
I loved having all my stuff out on shelves, framing all my favorite photos and keeping memorabilia on display.
Now... I love nothing more than a perfectly organized, clutter free home! I admit I have gotten a little OCD and can find it hard to close a draw if everything isn't lined up properly.
I do keep memorabilia – I just store them in boxes in the garage now!
The best thing that helped was that I moved out of home and into a new apartment with my husband, so it was easy to throw out everything I didn't want to bring into our new home and new life together, but I still tend to accumulated many things and I guess it’s something we all do so here is what I do to keep on top of it and keep my home clutter free!
1.       Once a year I do a big clean out and hold a stall at the markets and sell everything from books, beauty products, kitchenware and clothing.
(The most I have made is $1,700 – so that’s a good incentive to help me clear out stuff I will never wear or use again)
2.       I make sure everything has a spot, this way I never lose things and can easily put things back.
(I keep sections empty so that when I have gifts to send out or items to return to someone they can slip into the empty spot out of sight and I don’t feel like I have everything piling up)
3.       I've gotten into the habit of putting everything away as soon as I've finished with it.
4.       I've stopped buying things on the spur of the moment. If I really like something I think about where I would put it at home and if it will go with the flow of my home.
(I have bought so many things that I end up straight  into the “Sell at Market” pile! I now only go into a store if I already know what I want to buy or I go shopping when I’m looking for something in particular.)
5.       I open mail in the kitchen and throw out everything that is junk in the recycle bin straight away! I request bills to be emailed so my filing cabinet doesn't overflow.
(Another way to reduce your filing cabinet is to scan all documents and receipts and then recycle the paper)
6.       I keep all my sentimental clothing items that I can’t give up in a box in the garage.
7.       I hang scarves, large necklaces and belts off my coat hangers to save space in my draws.
(Keep them on a coat hanger that has a top/dress you would wear the belt/scarf/necklace with.)
8.       My bathroom is fairly easy to keep clutter free as I don’t use any fake tans, hairsprays, hair serums, primers, various shampoos, loads of different cosmetics, lotions, perfumes etc! I only have 3 or 4 items I use in my daily routine.
(If you do use a whole lot of different items then keep a draw free for just these items or buy a cute box to keep it all and store in your cabinet.)
9.       I have divided my bathroom cabinet into three sections, husbands draw, my draw, shared draw and same as the shelving, this way it’s easy to keep things tidy. I have also split my items into daily use and occasional use (invest in two make up bags) I have all the daily stuff in the draws and occasional items in the shelving. It makes getting ready quick and fast.
I keep the tissues, cotton buds, ear buds etc on shelving and keep soaps and restocking items in the draw.
10.   I brush my teeth in the shower so I keep the toothpaste and tooth brushes in the shower shelving)
(This keeps my vanity free of ugly clutter)
11.   I keep all my smaller bags and clutches that I don’t use often in my larger bags to save space.
12.   I stack my hats on top of each other.
13.   When lining my shoes up on the shelf I always have one pointing to me and the other pointing in the opposite direction. It saves up so much space!
14.   I have three boxes for my jewelry, one for cuffs and bracelets, one for small necklaces and one for earrings and rings.
(This prevents me from tossing everything on to the bed or floor to find something)
15.   I bought a bed box to store all the bed sheets in as I don’t have a linen cupboard.
16.    I love having photos up, so I selected a wall in my home and dedicated it to just framed photos!
This helped me minimize the amount of framed photos I have on my benches. 
(You can also buy a nice photo album and keep this on a bench instead of a various photo frames.)
17.   If I have a draw that’s filled with loads of small things like batteries, scissors etc I put them all into a nice box in the draw.
The best thing to do is invest in great shelving and storage boxes for the garage and just keep everything you don’t use often down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment