Thursday, March 5, 2015

VEGAN LIFE - DESSERTS

For Emily
How to avoid falling of the wagon when being social.
 
 

First if you are from the west head to What the Fudge and ask for the Oreo Frappe with Soy milk! 
Easy and vegan and damn delicious... even non-vegans will be jealous!

Try to plan ahead by either seeing if you can alter the dessert menu to make if vegan at the restaurant you are going to (most restaurants will be happy to serve you up some fruit in a small bowl) or see if there is somewhere you can go to close by that is more vegan friendly for dessert. I usually either order a soy chai latte if there is absolutely nothing on the menu and everyone wants to stay for dessert or when I'm with the husband (who loves ice-cream) I will opt for the lemon sorbet in a cup!

With family dinners continue to tell your family all the vegan options that are out there (oreos, peanut butter, dark chocolate, soy custard, soy whip cream and pop tarts come to mind) also so many of the tradition cakes you mum makes can be made vegan by swapping milk to soy milk, butter to nuttelex and eggs to chia seeds or applesauce depending on what is being baked. (chia seeds are best for cupcakes, cakes and pancakes!)

If you have a party to go to or a birthday/morning tea/farwell party in the office I will always bring in my own baked cupcakes or cake.

When I'm at home watching my dvds I either bake a vegan apple pie or I will melt some dark cooking chocolate with soy milk in a bowl and then add sultanas, nuts and coconut flakes to it and then eat it like a hot soup! mmmmmmmmmmmmm and if I'm feeling up to it I will leave some mixture aside to make chocolate truffles out of them... just add a little flour and chia seeds, roll them into balls and let them sit in the fridge for a little while... store them in a air tight container and take them with you everywhere you go!

Most of all I always always always come prepared!
I always carry with me a container full of walnuts and almonds with dried sultanas and cranberries!
I LITERALLY HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF NOT TO EAT ALL IN ONCE.
I also always keep with me Lindt dark chocolate.
Also if I'm visiting family or friends and I know there will be cakes I will bring pack myself a little mini hamper or peppermint tea, soy milk, decaf coffee, oreo's and vegan cookies so that I can indulge as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment